Friday, February 22, 2013

Memories: Aisle Five

Walking, standing, riding the bus, walking, standing, walking.
The glass doors slide open, sensing my presence.
At least someone does.
And suddenly, out of the dark rain
I am thrust into this shiny yellow circus
Shelves, boxes, carts and people in every direction
Beeping rings through the air, mingled 
with voices; laughter
Ok, I have something to do here
I need food. I think
I don't really know, but I came here, so I must
Right?
People around me move with purpose
they have lists and a schedule:
food to buy, people to make it for
eat it with
I'm carrying an empty canvas bag
I make my way over to the produce section
produce is good...
I'm picking among the apples, looking for nothing
I grab two. then two more. 
Apples. Check. 
Now what? Oh yeah.
I have a science project coming up.
I wander down the pop aisle
looking for something I won't like
root beer. perfect. I grab a two liter. 

Somehow, I always end up down the candy aisle
when I come
missing you
I don't even really like candy that much
but you do
and I know what you like
it's easy to pick something you might eat.
Skittles this time, I finally head to a cash register.
Self check out, where I don't have to talk to anyone. 
I take so long setting my bag down
the attendant walks my way
I drop it on the counter
beep
beep 
beep
tap tap tap tap tap
beep
beep
tap tap 
swipe
shuffle shift whisk whisk
I slip the navy canvas over my shoulders and pad towards the door
getting stuck behind some students
students like me
out with friends on a Friday night
why do that have to do that?
Oh, right...that's what people do
just not me
I take quick steps through the cold air
stand in the mud by a bus stop
ride
sit
share my cookies with a stranger
he thanks me
I tell him to have a good night
walk
climb
open the door
put everything away
sit down
you're still gone
Loneliness isn't just for the lonely
broken hearts aren't reserved 
for those who've been left
and for me,
Aisle five, QFC. That's where
memories are kept. 

Grocery stores. Not for the faint in heart. 

No comments: