Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Tennis Shoes

The shoes were a Christmas present from my parents
high school spirit green; the
perfectly preppy piece of every
Outfit; dark jeans fitted like a glove

Carefully creamy soles padded
Down school halls, a princely waltz
My smile had ruling power there,
My sparkling eyes made every call.
Perfect shoes that held me steady when
my first love’s lips puckered
and tapped the carpet outside my parents room after
the nights    I    lived    for

Seattle now
And these shoes have seen more sidewalk than padded, carpet floor
Rain and snow wore themselves into blisters on my feet
5 times, each a week, I couldn’t walk.
I hobbled. Black spot on my foot after
a long shift at work
Wet socks inside these shoes now,
Not cute ones like before
I tie the greying laces, I have no choice anymore
No line of soft new shoppings haul
Every color and style to match
My money stretches not at all,
Barely covering the rent on this tiny hall


Ten months ago together, though a millennium it feels,
These shoes and I set out to walk an uncharted course
To change the world and become be that perfect girl

But there are holes in the soles of my shoes now

      there are holes in the souls of my shoes

No comments: